Where am I?

I am a Yankee carpetbagger from northern Pennsylvania living in Georgia... specifically the Atlanta metro.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roswell, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Crazy thoughts.

I told my wife last night that I wanted a guitar. I prefaced it by saying, "I've got a nutty idea I want to run by you." I proceeded to tell her that I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Most of the time she is supportive of my ideas and this was no different. I really didn't have to sell her on it, but I gave her the whole spiel anyway. I've always had this idea in my head that it would be great fun to know how to play. I'm not talking about electric Stevie Ray Vaughn playing. Just a simple acoustic guitar. I envision sitting around a campfire with friends and family singing fun songs. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? I have no idea how hard it is to play. The only music in my blood is 8 years of piano lessons from a woman who never pushed my sister and I. We would be on the same lesson for weeks. My sister, Janie, liked playing more than I did. She actually sang when she played and it wasn't bad. Let's see... my lessons ended in the eighth or ninth grade and I'm about to turn 38. What does that tell you? Honestly, one of the reasons I want to learn is to expose my son to music. I'm not going to force anything on him but, I am definately going to expose him to many different things and let him make up his mind what he might like to pursue. He loves singing. He begs us to sing along with him all the time. He goes to bed with music and begs to listen to it in the car. His first choice obviously is nursery rhymes but, today when we were driving down the road he wanted to listen to songs on my Ipod. He likes Stevie Ray, Jack Johnson and John Mayer. His little head was bouncing up and down to the beat like a metalhead would at a Metallica concert. Since he was a baby he has been exposed to all kinds of music and I personally think it's great for his mind. I'm going to start looking around for a good quality used piece, take some lessons and learn some chords. Should be great fun.

Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya
Oh Lord, Kumbaya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home