Where am I?

I am a Yankee carpetbagger from northern Pennsylvania living in Georgia... specifically the Atlanta metro.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roswell, Georgia, United States

Friday, December 01, 2006

Ba badoo ba.

The wife is stuck in Milwaukee. She left Tuesday afternoon and attended a conference in Philadelphia. Late on Wednesday she flew out to Milwaukee to run some trials at one of their mills. The trials are for one of their products that they are trying to launch by the end of the year, so it's been critical and stressful for her. Evidently things went well yesterday but, the trials ran late and she missed the last flight out to Atlanta. Well, it wouldn't have been a problem but, Milwaukee got hit with a snowstorm last night that dumped twelve inches so far and it's continuing to fall. This mornings flight was cancelled and the one o'clock is full. It looks like she's not going to get out of there until five - if all goes well. I feel bad for her. She's stuck in a hotel room, exhausted from her travels and she can't get home. She called a few minutes ago and I could tell she's getting very antsy. I'm also worried because her drive to the airport is normally twenty minutes and now, who knows how long it will take. Furthermore, she hasn't driven in that much snow since we left northern Pennsylvania ten years ago.

The boy and I are just hanging today. A cold front pushed through this morning and brought with it a lot of wind and rain. I see in the back yard that we have a number of tree limbs down. The temperature has dropped twenty five degrees from what is was yesterday. So, we've stayed inside. He watched "The Jungle Book" which has become his new favorite and now he's taking his nap.

Some random Christmas thoughts that I have been thinking of was the time our family and grandparents made the trek from northern Pennsylvania to northern Virginia to spend the holidays with my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin. The excitement of the trip set in once my sister and I learned of it. It was always exciting to go visit my cousin, but going for Christmas was unbelievable! A few things I remember from the trip are the deer that we saw on the front lawn on Christmas morning. Then there was my sister getting up to go look at the presents under the tree and the adults were just getting into bed. I don't think she slept a wink that night. I don't know if that was the year that we received our Atari from Santa but, my cousin got one and we played that thing nonstop, for the remainder of the trip. There's a picture of my uncle sitting on a toilet in the middle of the living room. My grandparents brought a toilet with them because a bathroom was being built in the basement and they put the toilet under the tree with a bow on it. We all went to Eve Mass and my cousin and I couldn't stop laughing all the way through. Stern looks were given by all the adults... but we didn't care. It was Christmas. My mind is kind of foggy about the details, because it was some years ago but, I will tell you this - it was a damn good time.

6 Comments:

Blogger D. EVANS said...

When you say Ba badoo ba. Is it like scoobie do do?

Yeah, thems were the days... I have fine memories from that visit. All of us together for better or worse. It was one of my best Christmas'. Not so much for the stuff we got but just because we were together. One of these days we should try something like that with our kids.

Remember the crazy stocking cap that gramdpa was wearing all morning. He looked like he was right out of "It was a Night before Christmas". Yeah... good times.

By the way. Just want to say I really have been enjoying your blog. Tell the wife I said hi!

10:35 PM  
Blogger JKaminski said...

I don't really know what Ba badoo ba is but, I found myself repeating it that day. I said it so much that I had the boy repeating it. I do remember Grandpa's stocking cap - it was classic. I can here Grandma now saying "Honestly Stan!". I wonder if anyone ended up with that hat? It would be great spending Christmas with you all. We will definitely have to do it. Thanks for your kind words... and likewise say hi to your better half.

10:50 AM  
Blogger D. EVANS said...

(singing) Scoobie scoobie de do. Hey scoobie where are you? (like a dog) rover heeeeeer!

11:00 AM  
Blogger JKaminski said...

(in my best evil voice)

"And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids!"

9:12 PM  
Blogger Bill Evans said...

Uncle Bill & I enjoyed hearing about your holidays.
We also have fond memories of that famous Christmas back in the mid eighties when we were all together.
We think of the three of you often.
We spent Christmas with our Boy and daughter-in-law ..
By the way, your Uncle has that famous stocking cap and night shirt. He loaned it to Grampa for the day & Grampa took full advantage of it. What a great time!
Hugs & kisses to all.
Will be watching for more on your blog.
Lots of Love, Aunt Mary

11:26 AM  
Blogger JKaminski said...

Hey Aunt Mary, thanks for the comment. I hope your holidays were great. We'll all have to get together for Christmas one year, for old times sake. That would be a lot of fun! I have really enjoyed Dave's blog, you've really got a talented son, but we all already new that! Tell him to get posting!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home