Where am I?

I am a Yankee carpetbagger from northern Pennsylvania living in Georgia... specifically the Atlanta metro.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roswell, Georgia, United States

Monday, November 20, 2006

Monday morning...

Ahhh yessss.... It's Monday morning. I'm drinking a strong cup of coffee while the boy is watching his daily dose of Sesame Street. I finished "A Walk in the Woods" Saturday evening. It was a good book but, I did envision a much different ending. Without giving away anything to any prospective readers of the book, I will say that I am more than impressed with Bill and Katz's accomplishments - as it relates to the trail. I've been perusing the various websites on the AT and have found them very interesting. I've specifically been studying the Georgia section and realized that there are close to 100 miles from the trail head to the North Carolina border. My thoughts have been to try a few day hikes and see how I like it. I really haven't been hiking since my days in Wellsboro and I never did anything more than day hikes. Of course I've been having grand thoughts of being a thru-hiker, but they are just dreams in my head. Wouldn't it be great to say that you walked the whole trail? I'm finding, that since I've been a part-timer, that I've had more time to think of other things to accompish besides work.
It's going to be a busy week. The wife is off for the week starting tomorrow and I'm going to take advantage of that. I will probably work on one of my contracting jobs one day this week and then devote the rest of the time to my own project here at home. One of the wife's cousins is coming in from Orlando and wants to take the boy for the day on Wednesday - we said, "Have at it!" Wednesday evening the family is having our annual injection party. No, it's not drug related. We inject the turkeys with spices to marinate over night before we fry them. The wife's uncle is in charge of frying and has, at times, fried up to 16 turkeys on Thanksgiving day for family/friends. Usually, there is one traditionally cooked turkey and one fried to feed our family, but this year we are going to experience the "Cuban Invasion". There are going to be over fifty people at Thanksgiving this year! All the relatives from Miami are coming and they've decided to fry four turkeys for us alone. I can't wait... what a feast it's going to be. I can taste it now... mmmmm. It's quite an experience walking into the wife's Aunt and Uncle's house on Thanksgiving Day. You can hear the noise as soon as you get out of the car. The laughing and cackeling. You walk in and spend the next half hour greeting, hugging and kissing everyone while they are talking to you in spanish. I do a lot of head nodding and laughing. I haven't got the slightest idea what they are saying. I usually retreat to the back deck where the beverages are kept. I will find the wife's cousins from her mother's side, who are New Englanders, and spend the day with them, because we can actually communicate. It's a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to the festivities.

4 Comments:

Blogger D. EVANS said...

I found myself day dreaming about the thru-hikes too. I think the section in New Hampshire would be interesting to see someday.

8:06 PM  
Blogger JKaminski said...

What do you have planned for Turkey Day... besides eating turkey?

9:34 PM  
Blogger D. EVANS said...

Football watchin and practicing my immitation of a sloth.

5:38 PM  
Blogger JKaminski said...

I've got the sloth thing down pat. If you need any pointers just ask... Here's hoping for a full belly. Cheers!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home