Where am I?

I am a Yankee carpetbagger from northern Pennsylvania living in Georgia... specifically the Atlanta metro.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roswell, Georgia, United States

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Karma

It was a beautiful day in this part of the world. Sunny skies in the upper 50's. As far as the project is concerned, I'm on my own this weekend. The family had conflicting plans, but we're on for next week. I decided to get started on the right side. I worked about half of a day yesterday pulling off the aluminum and I installed a few sheets of plywood before it got dark. Today I continued with the plywood. I'm only lacking a few sheets and that part will be done. I'm going to finish tomorrow with getting the house wrap installed - that way it'll be sealed up in case it rains before next weekend. This side is taking longer for a number of reasons. Number one, I'm working alone. Then you have the fact that all the utilities come in the house on this side. The phone, electric, tv cables and some networking cables that I had run for various rooms in the house. I ended up cutting channels in the brown board and concealed all the wiring. It's going to be very "clean" now. The other thing that has been slowing me down is a couple of bushes that are around six feet tall. The branches were everywhere that I needed to be.

I went out last night with my wife's cousin. Usually once a month he and I partake in some alcoholic beverages at a pub called the "Dunwoody Tavern". It's a typical bar, but the atomosphere is agreeable to us. We sit around and talk like two old women. Last nights conversation centered around his purchase of a new Toyota Tundra. He's been talking about this for some time and finally decided to do it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous... it's a beaut. It's a black four door with grey leather interior and an awesome tire/aluminum wheel package. Now, here's a funny little thing that happened after we left the pub. We decided to go back to his house because, he had some food he wanted to give the wife and I. He works for a specialty food company that sells to various markets here in Atlanta. His biggest account is Whole Foods. He constantly has a garage full of food and we're not talking about cheap junk. We get to his house and he fills box after box for us and as we're getting ready to leave he says he has two five gallon buckets of paint that he wants to get rid of. The paint was left in the house when he bought it. There is so much construction going on we decided we would hit a site and throw it in a dumpster. We throw the buckets in the back and head out. I'm thinking we're just going to go a few miles and find a place to dump it. We're heading down some back roads and I hear the buckets bouncing off the sides of the bed. I say "Take it easy, this is a brand new truck". I'm thinking to myself that there is going to be dents and scratches all over the place. Well, after five or more miles we find a deserted site. It was a future home of a Wachovia Bank. We pulled into the parking lot next to the dumpster and I jump out. I get to the back of the truck and am horrified to see that there is paint EVERYWHERE! White on black. I yell to him to get out and take a look. He had a few choice words and said "What do we do now?" Fortunately, we were only a few miles away from my house and it was cold out. There was no way that the paint was going to cure in that weather. When we arrived at my house he got the hose out and started spraying and luckily it just washed away. What a Jackass.

4 Comments:

Blogger D. EVANS said...

I busted out laughing when I read this. Great story. The way you told it I could visualize the whole thing.

The Tundra sounds nice. Have you ever heard of that Rhino lining for beds?

8:03 PM  
Blogger JKaminski said...

I'm glad you found it enjoyable. I have heard of Rhino lining. When I do get a new truck I'll seriously look into that as it has a gripping surface. My current truck has the bed liner and although it gives great protection, everything needs to be tied down because it's so slick.

Slick...

9:26 PM  
Blogger D. EVANS said...

ha ha ha slick....

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

See you soon at
the DUNWOODY TAVERN!

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home